The Need for Copyright Registration:
There are thousands of artists, writers, musicians and the like who create original art pieces that are genuine and reflect real talent. A true work of art is quickly appreciated. There is another crop of artists who do have a sense of appreciation and understanding but lack talent. They are good at imitation but they cannot create something of their own. When art is created in all parts of the world massively, and moves around, it is bound to fall into the hands of amateurs, budding artists and lesser artists. Quite often, they are tempted to copy or imitate the creations of others and claim that it is their own work. This tendency is on the increase in proportion with the growing materialism in the world, a commercial attitude and technology supported easy and quick means of communication. Old masters were self-motivated, honest, inspired and hard-working. The present life-style seems to have exhausted creativity in human kind; a kind of lethargy is observed in struggling artists and people avoid efforts and hard work. As a result, art works stand the greatest risk of being imitated. This is injustice to the original creators who deserve credit for intellectual property as it is referred to. This makes protection of intellectual property mandatory in current times. Surely, no one would be happy to see his work going around and highly praised as someone else’s creation!!
What is copyright registration?
Copyright is a right given by the law to creators of literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works and producers of cinematograph films and sound recordings. Copyright protects and rewards creativity. Copyright means legal registration of a work of art, stamping it as the original creation of a particular individual. Once it is registered as such, the individual can file a suit in the court against anybody else publishes or relays it in his/her name. In short, copyright is registration of a work of art with the government, as a record of someone’s original creation.
What is included in intellectual property?
- Literary works
• Books, newspapers journals
• Audio and video cassettes
• Songs and lyrics
• Designs created by artists
• Architecture designs
• Sound recordings
• Cinematograph films
• Computer software
• Computer programmes
• Tables and compilations
The entire above mentioned are artistic creations and copyright can be obtained to protect them from being stolen or imitated. Of course, there are slight variations in the composition of rights depending on the kind of work. For example, nobody can translate a work of fiction from one language to another without the author’s permission. There is no question of translation regarding an architectural design. An architectural design cannot be imitated unrightfully.
The basic rights
- Reproduction right – it allows the creator the right to copy, duplicate, transcribe or imitate the work of art.
2. Modification right – A creator can modify or make changes in the original work created by him, perhaps transforming it into a new work of art.
3. Distribution right – the creator can publish, sell, lend or rent out his work of art. He can distribute any number of copies to the public.
4. Performance right – the creator has the exclusive right to give a performance of his play, a dance show, an audio-visual performance in public.
Why should you apply for copyright?
- Creativity leads to progress. Society could not have made progress without creativity. If it is appreciated, recognized and encouraged, artists are motivated to create new things.
• Not only cultural, but economic and social development of a country depends upon creativity.
• The provision to protect creativity creates an atmosphere conducive to creativity.
• Copyright includes a bundle of rights including rights of reproduction, communication to the public, adaptation and translation of work.
• Copyright helps creators to yield income and receive pecuniary rewards.
• Copyright rights are exclusive, that is the creator alone has the right to make public, adapt, translate the work of art.
• A great deal of profit of a nation comes from intellectual property. The artist earns money and so does the government.
• If the creator has copyrighted a work, then the creator can prosecute anyone who uses the material without permission. “A copyright owner can recover actual or, in some cases, statutory damages from an infringer. In addition, courts have the power to issue orders to prevent or restrain copyright infringement and to order the impoundment and destruction of infringing copies.
The process of getting copyright registration
The process of getting copyright is extremely simple. Copyright is acquired the moment a work of art is created; no formality is essential for acquiring copyright. However, a certificate of registration has to be acquired as evidence in a court of law, in case there is a dispute regarding its ownership.
1. Filling the application form
2. A separate application form has to be filled for each work of art
3. Payment of requisite fees along with the application form. The fee is to be paid the form of postal order or demand draft.
4. The application must be signed by the applicant. Any individual has the right to apply. Sometimes, an advocate is given the power of attorney in which case the advocate will sign the application. Documents assigning the power of attorney to the advocate and the acceptance of the latter must be attached to the application.
5. The copyright form can be filed and submitted at the copyright office or online.
Just as physical property has to be protected from thieves, intellectual property can also be stolen and has to be protected. It is difficult to steal physical property because it is tangible. It is easy to steal intellectual property which is intangible. Physical property can be guarded by installing security systems and alarms; this is not possible in case of intellectual property.
It is advisable to get copyright registration and protect your intellectual property. Safeguard your creations and earn name, fame and money. You deserve credit and appreciation for your talents.
Contact envizi solutions, based in Pune, India and get copyright registration NOW.